Posted June 22, 2014
Argonne National Laboratory, one of the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) major research centers, is pleased to announce opportunities for college and university undergraduate students participate in the Laboratory’s ongoing programs.
The Nuclear Engineering Division at Argonne National Laboratory is looking for two part-time Computer Science Co-op students to work in the National Security Information Systems section. The section
develops and operates national security related IT systems for various sponsors and projects.
Compensation: The salary range is from $13.34 to $16.66 per hour based on academic rank, academic discipline, and prior experience.
Hours: Students are preferred to commit at least one year of work which include 19 hours per week while classes are in session, and full-time during summer and academic breaks, with some adjustments for final exams or major academic project work.
Contact: Please send résumé and letter of reference to Lee Ann Ciarlette email@example.com. Please contact Lisa Reed firstname.lastname@example.org for information on the Co-op Program or visit our website at www.dep.anl.gov for application materials.
See below for more details.The prospective co-op student is expected to have:
• Excellent analytical skills and the ability to troubleshoot and resolve software problems.
• Good interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work in a team environment.
• Ability to research and understand technical documentation, and an understanding of how to apply various technical resources.
• Awareness of the PC industry’s current and emerging technology trends and direction, as well as a keen interest in computer-based information systems and technology.
• A GPA of 3.0 or better.
• Enrollment in an undergraduate degree program in Software Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, or a similar IT Engineering discipline.
• US Citizenship.
Basic knowledge in at least three of the following categories is required:
• Web browsers such as Internet Explorer and Firefox
• Linux Operating Systems
• Relational Database Software
• Java Programming Language
• Eclipse IDE
• CASE tools
• Version control software
Scope of work duties will include the following:
• Provide help desk assistance to web application users
• Participate in functional testing of new software releases along with some basic system administration and cyber security tasks
• Opportunities for entry level software engineering work is available if that is of interest to the student.